Head of Machine Shop
STOKE Space Technologies
A thriving economy in space is needed to make life on Earth more vibrant, sustainable, and equitable. Space technology will enable global access to information, solutions to climate change, answers to global food security, products that transform healthcare, clean energy production, and more. Today, rocket launch options are slow, expensive, and unreliable. Stoke is building the world’s most efficient fully and rapidly reusable rocket designed to fly daily that will radically increase access to space and open up the space economy to safeguard our precious home, Earth.
As the Head of Machine Shop you will be responsible for the equipment, personnel, and processes within our internal machine shop; located in Kent, WA. You will build and evolve shop systems and processes in order to facilitate efficient work and increased throughput, while maintaining flexibility to quickly respond to emergent machining needs. You will have ownership responsibility for budgets and schedule management, while keeping in close communication with internal engineering customers to ensure their current and future needs are met.
Leveraging your previous experience, initiative, and deep manufacturing knowledge you will develop and execute department growth plans that facilitate expansion into increased production throughputs and fast-cadence design iterations.
- Manage, grow, and lead a team of machinists and programmers in manufacturing aerospace hardware in a start-up atmosphere
- Compare, negotiate, purchase, and install capital machining equipment to meet internal manufacturing needs (both new and used equipment)
- Maintain close relationships and communications with internal engineering customers
- Coordinate labor and equipment to support 2 shift operations, with surge support for emergent work
- Plan and execute department growth initiatives to track and increase throughput while growing capabilities
- Mentor and teach shop skills and machining fundamentals to rotating team of Entry Level Aerospace Technicians
- 10+ years of experience in relevant manufacturing environments
- 5+ years of management or team leadership experience
- Strong background in capital equipment selection and procurement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong history of successful project completion
- Medical, dental, vision and basic life insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible scheduling
- Level 4 Range: $112, 900 - $205,400
- Level 5 Range: $164,300 - $246,500
Our job posts are intentionally written to attract a wide variety of experience levels, and we make decisions about the right fit on a per-candidate basis.
Your actual level and base salary will be decided based on your specific experience and skill level.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including with respect to disability and veteran status. It is committed to compliance with all equal opportunity laws, including the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and Title VII. It does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, citizenship, immigration status, or any other protected class when it comes to employment practices, including hiring.
Employment at the Company is contingent upon satisfactory completion of reference and background checks, and on your ability to prove your identity and authorization to work in the U.S. for the Company. Employees must comply with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services employment verification requirements, and, therefore, they must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 at the start of employment and re-verify authorization to work periodically.
Separate from this I-9 process, this position entails access to certain technology and technical data that is restricted under U.S. export control laws and regulations. Employment or continued employment may be conditioned on your legal authorization to work with or have access to export control materials as necessary to perform your job.