Energy Analyst (Africa-wide, Remote)
Stears is an intelligence startup of 40+ people using data to answer questions about Africa. Our mission is to become the world's most trusted provider of African data & insight to global businesses, finance and policy professionals. We make this possible by integrating all our intelligence (news & analysis, proprietary data, aggregated public data, licensed data, forecasts and reports) into a searchable platform complemented by a rich mobile experience.
Our customers currently pay for access to Stears’ intelligence through a web platform that includes daily insight and data. Our experts are always ready to answer client data questions about any sector, market or African country.
We are seeking an Energy Analyst with a robust understanding of economic principles to join our Insights team. This role will report to the Head of Insights and will contribute to the production of long-form and short-form insights. The Energy Analyst will also assist in the development of indices, predictive models, and historical databases for our subscribers.
As a Senior Analyst, you will contribute to a wide range of projects, applying your strong foundation and experience in energy to analyse various country economies. You will assist in the writing of insightful articles, the creation of predictive models, and the development of our database. This role provides a unique opportunity to shape the understanding of African energy sectors and influence strategic decision-making processes.
How we work: The team produces high-quality insights that answer the most important questions about Africa for decision-makers. This role puts you in the perfect position to be the principal commentator on key energy issues for the Stears team.
The Insights team constitutes a team of economists and data analysts that provide best-in-class research, data-driven analysis and insights. Team members deliver tailored 1:1 presentations, participate in key industry forums, and contribute to thought leadership through thematic papers, events, and media. Our long-form insights cut across issues such as How should Nigeria remove its fuel subsidy? and Why are Nigerian electricity companies unprofitable? You may also spend some of your time working on special data projects like the Stears Energy price tracker. This is an exciting time to join the team as you will also lead our initial pan-African expansion to produce data-driven Insights across the African continent.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Insights team. You will report to the Head of Insights. You will also work with other researchers, economists and consultants in the intelligence team. In addition, you will work with other internal stakeholders, including the Head of Intelligence.
We are looking for someone with
- At least 3-4 years of experience working in or analysing trends and transformations in the energy sector.
- Relevant academic background: economics, finance, or related degree
- Experience with or interest in developing indices, predictive models, and databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis and econometric modelling.
- An active network of experts in the sector that can provide external expertise on the trends and issues defining this industry.
- Familiarity with multiple African markets is a plus.
- Production of long-form and short-form written insights
- Assist in the development of indices, predictive models, and historical macroeconomic databases.
- Collaborate with the Energy Insights Lead and other team members to produce alternative data-driven insights, including verbal presentations to Stears subscribers at strategy meetings, webinars, etc.
- Participate in key industry forums and contribute to the thought leadership of the organisation.
- Unlimited access to Stears Premium
- Hybrid working (office and remote as required)
- Stears branded merchandise and swag
- Onboarding allowance to facilitate workstation setup
- Access to Stears Employee Hardship Fund
- Annual off-site team bonding
- Special emphasis on learning and development
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Competitive salaries at junior, intermediate and senior levels
- Paid time off - 25 days excluding public holidays and sick days
- Access to an expert Intelligence team - Stears Intelligence team includes some of the brightest knowledge experts in Nigeria covering a wide range of sectors, all with a passion for delivering the highest quality of intelligence on the African continent.
- The Stears Experience - These are the top reasons analysts report having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Deepen their analytical & critical thinking skills which apply beyond a specific domain
- Develop strong writing skills that can be leveraged in other stages of their careers
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on responsibility for an entire industry
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data more widely available
Stears is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.