Director of Core and Advanced Engineering (Hybrid)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
May Mobility is entering into an exciting phase of growth as we expand our first-of-its-kind autonomous shuttle and mobility services across the nation. We are looking for a Director of Core and Advanced Engineering to oversee the core engineering development of the Autonomous Driving System. This role will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Oversee the development of sensors, including cameras, LiDARs, radar and ultrasonic sensors into the autonomous driving system.
- Manage the selection and implementation of sensor technologies and systems, while considering cost, performance, size and availability.
- Lead the vehicle engineering teams, consisting of systems, electrical, embedded software and mechanical engineers.
- Ensures close coordination between these teams, product management, program management, autonomy and production to ensure the on time development of engineering requirements, design and execution.
- Oversees departmental KPIs, budgets, and people management activities
- Develop, maintain and monitor department objectives and key results (OKRs)
- Ensures that the highest of safety and quality standards are met
- Supports appropriate vehicle launch and sustaining engineering activities as needed once vehicles are released to the field
- Define the long term technical roadmap and strategic vision, alongside key stakeholders
- Work closely with product management to define the product strategy and product roadmap.
- Stays current on relevant technology innovations and leverages them to define a compelling technical vision and strategy for core areas of responsibility.
- Optimize and develop effective processes to ensure the quality and safety of the product.
- Lead advanced engineering team to evaluate innovative sensor and compute technologies.
- Lead core value analysis and value engineering (VA/VE) activities to optimize value of the product and service.
- Lead the team to develop the autonomous driving system architecture, which meets Ul4600 functional safety requirements.
- BS in an Engineering discipline or equivalent
- 5+ years experience in managing a multidisciplinary engineering team
- 7+ years experience working on vehicle engineering solutions related to getting products into the real world
- Demonstrated people management experience, including hiring, onboarding, retention, coaching, and team building
- Experience setting technical vision and strategy for vehicle systems engineering and autonomous driving subsystems
- Experience working with safety-critical products, preferably automotive or aerospace
- In-depth understanding of the autonomous vehicle, electric vehicle, and automotive landscape
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- MS degree, preferably in Engineering or Business
- Startup experience
- Autonomous vehicle technology experience
- Has led teams in creating a from concept to market launch in a large automotive company
- Experience developing advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS)
- Has led teams in driving continuous improvements into a vehicle after its in market
- Operations management experience
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive healthcare suite including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability plans. Domestic partners who have been residing together at least one year are also eligible to participate!
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Healthcare and Dependent Care Accounts available.
- Rich retirement benefits, including an immediately vested employer safe harbor match.
- Generous paid parental leave with immediate eligibility as well as a phased return to work.
- Flexible vacation policy in addition to 15 paid company holidays.
- Competitive salary and equity program as well as a bonus program.
- Daily catered lunches and snacks for onsite employees
- Employee Work Perk Stipends for hybrid and remote employees
- Total Wellness Program providing numerous resources for overall wellbeing
The expected base salary range for this full-time position is $173,000 - $250,000 per year. May’s pay ranges are determined by the role, level, and location. Successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including but not limited to- job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. A successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, equity compensation, and generous company benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.