Senior Engineering Manager, Insurance
Build the operating system for global trade
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged
While developments in technology have enabled information to flow faster, cargo is still loaded into containers that are transported on trucks, loaded onto boats, sailing across the oceans. Freight insurance is the protection that covers the cargo in case of damage or loss. We believe cargo insurance doesn’t need to be clunky. It should be a fast, fluid, digitally-driven process that is easy to tailor for cost effectiveness.
The Insurance engineering team is a new team and it is focused on building a new insurance platform to handle all aspects of the customer journey and back-office business processes. Our insurance business has grown from per-shipment insurance to annual policies and in the coming time we will be launching more insurance products to enable our ambitious growth goals.
- Build an insurance platform that enables thousands of customers to seamlessly purchase insurance in the form of a variety of products and enables the Flexport business team to provide these customers an outstanding customer experience.
- Connect with 3rd party ecommerce ecosystems like Shopify for a more seamless ecommerce selling & shipping motion.
- Build a suite of platform services to enable experiences and core functionality.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics related insurance.
- Craft the architectural strategy, and own the technical landscape, for the insurance domain.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about insurance, shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have
- At least 8 years of experience developing software (including management).
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience setting technical vision and roadmap for a team.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing full-stack application teams.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data.
- Experience developing distributed systems.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any insurance or freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Something looks off?