Senior Staff Software Engineer, Ocean
Build the programs to help Flexport Grow
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. We are the first licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern tech stack. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in fulfilling our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport, you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating a new operating system for global trade.
The Ocean Air Revenue Management org is responsible for creating competitive offerings that satisfy customers' needs while maximizing net revenue and building products and workflows that effectively fulfill and move our clients' cargo on Ocean and Air modes. We work closely with our product, business, and data teams to solve complex optimization problems around container utilization and route planning to ensure we can fulfill the promised transit times while utilizing our supply efficiently.
We are looking for engineers who love learning, are passionate about collaborating, and desire to build solutions with a global impact.
- Craft the architectural strategy, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as cargo, routing, customs, and pricing.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
- You play a significant role in the career development of others, actively mentoring and educating the larger software engineering community on trends, technologies, and best practices.
- Drive data accuracy architecture and improvement loops through various subsystems.
What you’ll build:
You will own and build one or more of the following cross-functional components.
- Planner - Create a data science-powered, fully automated technology that can plan and optimize cross-mode transportation from end to end. The technology should be designed to match the client's demand with the appropriate supply while reducing the cost to serve and increasing net revenue.
- Inventory Management & Forecasting - Develop an inventory management system that enables the monitoring and optimization of inventory utilization while incorporating inventory forecasting.
- Service Offering - Create a service offering system that meets the demands of our customers and seamlessly integrates with our inventory, catalog, and quoting systems. This system should enable instant quoting and pricing for Ocean and Air freight products.
- Pricing Engine - Create a pricing engine that enables the revenue management team to establish a competitive pricing strategy in the market.
You should have:
- 10+ years of experience writing software and a strong engineering background.
- Experience building large-scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Proficient in working with at least one programming language such as Ruby, C, C++, Java, or Kotlin
- 6+ years of design and architecting large-scale systems, as well as proficiency with object-oriented analysis and design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing, and operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Effectively able to align long-term architectural goals with product goals.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
Something looks off?