Staff Software Engineer, Forwarding Applications
Build the systems to help Flexport grow
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. We are the first licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern tech stack. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
We study the work that people do in freight forwarding, develop software and processes to make it more efficient, and ultimately automate much of it. The role involves learning the business of freight forwarding, modeling the work that people do to move freight, designing solutions to make it more efficient, and automating much of it. As a Staff Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and leading projects that cut across multiple teams. You will be a mentor for other engineers and will help define the long-term roadmap for your team.
We are looking for engineers who love learning, are passionate about collaborating, and desire to build solutions with a global impact. This role will be located in Shanghai, China.
- Craft the architectural strategy, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as cargo, routing, customs, and pricing.
- Architect and drive major projects while coordinating with multiple stakeholders. We often work on multi-month projects that require phased rollouts and collaboration with cross-functional team members.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
- You play a significant role in the career development of others, actively mentoring and educating the larger software engineering community on trends, technologies, and best practices.
- Ensure our products maintain a high-quality bar. We believe in anticipating issues by obsessing over metrics and applying key learnings from post-mortems to all our services.
- Tackle difficult and subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- 5+ years of design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object-oriented analysis and design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Ruby, C, C++, Java, or Kotlin
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- Experience of effectively and reliably delivering large projects involving multi teams/orgs, including breaking the projects down into smaller pieces, cooperating with dependent teams to align on critical technical decisions, driving conversation regards long term strategy and delivering the right result in high standard.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
- A “compliance first” attitude to keep our regulators happy and enthusiastic about Flexport since we operate in a heavily regulated industry.
Engineering Culture and Values:
- Check out our Key Values profile.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Something looks off?