Senior Frontend Developer (North America Remote OK)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, June 4, 2023
About Safari AI
Safari AI, formerly known as curbFlow, uses computer vision technology to convert the digital cameras of businesses & organizations into data collection machines. There are over a Billion IP cameras in the world, and Safari AI's mission is to make them much more valuable to their commercial owners. Clients connect their video to Safari AI to get real-time, business-critical data like pedestrian counts for retail, guest tracing for commercial real estate, traffic counts for DOTs and engineering firms, employee engagement at restaurants, and live wait times for amusement park rides, to name a few of our use cases.
Paying clients include Taco Bell/Yum Brands, NYC's largest 7-11 franchisee, Goodwill, Brightline, Merlin Entertainments (owner of Legoland) and JBG Smith, developer of Amazon's HQ2.
Safari AI was seed-funded with $8mm in 2018 by venture capital firms General Catalyst and Initialized Capital (Garry Tan) and expects to raise a Series A by the end of 2022.
Leadership & Culture
Safari AI is founded and led by three former Y Combinator founders with two exits under their belts. The company has operated as a distributed team since its founding in 2018. Team members currently live in DC, NY, the Bay Area, Toronto and Montreal.
About You And How You Succeed At Safari AI
You're excited about building a product that hasn't been built before. You have a bias toward action when you are stuck but are not afraid to ask for help when you need to. You're eager to test new ways of doing things and can take advantage of the freedom an early stage startup can afford you. You are eager to engage not only with the business side of the team, but with the clients and users themselves.
- Build, enhance and own existing React web applications
- Practice engineering best practices for system design, coding, documentation and communication
- Work closely with engineering team members and operation team to identify new priorities and communicate it well
- Contribute to engineering development process improvements
- Set technical direction for frontend stacks
Qualifications for this role
- Strong communication skills
- Experiences with public cloud such as AWS, GCP or Azure
- Experiences with CI/CD tools and IAC frameworks
- A desire to work across the technical stack to ensure successful delivery of products end-to-end
- Enthusiasm in working at a fast-pacing working environment
- Experience with backend development
- Experience with real-time event stream processing (using technologies such as Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar or similar)
- Experience with on-prem servers or IoT devices
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience working at an early-stage startup
What we Provide
- Opportunity to shape an early-stage, mission-driven startup and revolutionize how Enterprises use Computer Vision
- Live anywhere you want in North America - Speed matters to Scale, so we were founded as a distributed team well before Covid!!!
- Professional growth at a fast-growing, venture-funded start up with a proven founder and leadership team
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity for early team members
- Unlimited vacation days
- Generous health benefits (Health, Vision, Dental)
- 401k for US team members
- Brand new, top of the line hardware and whatever else you need to help you win
This position is an opportunity to further scale up a fast-growing network of CV-enabled devices by developing and managing a custom platform. You will also have an opportunity to build a small team over time.
Why bet on Computer Vision and Safari AI?
1. Huge industry hiding in plain sight: auto-measuring physical activity at scale
2. Large chasm between customer knowledge and market availability, i.e. customers don't know what is available in the market
3. No clear leader; everyone is small and unbranded (i.e. no Amazon or Google in the room to compete with)
4. The tech is very modular, allowing Safari AI and its customers to invent whole new use cases on a regular basis
5. Safari AI has developed the tech and data pipelines over three years and invested several million dollars and is now ready to scale
6. Safari AI is already emerging as the market leader in auto-measuring with CV by working with customers like Merlin Entertainment, Taco Bell/Yum!, Goodwill, JBG Smith, City of Washington DC and Brightline to name a few.