People Operations Manager
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid products—Citizen Protect and Citizen Plus, enhance the Citizen experience by offering users powerful features like police scanner radio, historical incidents, custom alerts zones, and access to a digital guardian 24/7 help. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About The Role
We are looking for a knowledgeable, organized, and agile People Operations Manager to run the HR function at Citizen. In this role, you will report to the Head of Talent but will be independently responsible for building, running, and/or improving all areas of HR, with the exception of Talent Acquisition. You will be the People Partner to all leaders at the organization, and will guide the People & Talent Generalist in supporting employees. The ideal candidate has experience leading HR/People Ops at a startup, can operate independently, and thrives in an ever-changing business environment.
What you’ll do here:
- Establish and implement an HR strategy that meets the evolving needs of the organization
- Partner with and coach business leaders in areas such as performance, internal mobility, and employee relations
- Maintain compliance of a remote, and partially unionized, workforce
- Manage benefits and software vendor relationships and services
- Facilitate onboarding, performance reviews, promotions, engagement surveys, open enrollment, and other recurring and ad-hoc people programs
- Oversee the People & Talent Generalist in running payroll, benefits, HRIS, and all day-to-day operations
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 4-6 years of experience in People Operations/HR Business Partner roles, ideally at early-mid stage startups
- Strong employee relations acumen
- Experience with payroll, HRIS, compensation, benefits, and compliance
- Ability think strategically at the bigger picture level, while also getting your hands dirty with operational work and details
- Ability to push back, coach, and influence at all levels of an organization
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and operate effectively in the face of uncertainty
- Experience with a unionized workforce
- Experience with Rippling
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $130,000 to $145,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen is a fully-distributed team that offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock options, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Something looks off?