Software Engineer: Cloud and ML Infra
Software Engineering, Data Science
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2022
Chef Robotics is on a mission to accelerate the advent of intelligent machines in the physical world. As the rise of LLMs like ChatGPT has shown, AI has the potential to drive immense change. However, we believe AI’s biggest impact will be in the physical world, given industries like manufacturing, food, and transportation represent 90% of global GDP. We're starting with food, with a goal to put an intelligent robot in every commercial kitchen in the world. We have signed multiple multi-year contracts with various large food companies and we are growing fast. We're backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Construct, Bloomberg BETA and Promus Ventures. We have a great team, where you will be surrounded by talented engineers and tech leaders from companies like Cruise, Zoox, Google, Verb Surgical, Tesla, Nuro, Vicarious, Amazon Robotics, Strateos, Built Robotics, Facebook, Plenty, Yelp, and Microsoft.
Chef is looking for a software engineer to help lead Chef's efforts in cloud and ML infrastructure, DevOps, and developer tooling.
What you'll do
- Build data pipelines for ingesting, processing, and serving robot-generated data such as logs and telemetry using industry best practices
- Work with the robotics & perception teams to develop cloud-native simulation and training pipelines
- Create a long-term strategy for leveraging key 3rd party cloud service providers
- Work with the operations and robotics teams to build scalable systems for configuration management
- Develop internal dashboards & tools providing insights to the entire company
- Work with the other development teams to build critical infrastructure for serving user-facing applications
- Experience building highly reliable and scalable systems
- Extensive experience in building backend infrastructure on AWS / other cloud services
- Admin experience with relational and NoSQL database and creating schema to parse and store data
- Has built machine learning infra (for computer vision)
- Orchestration: Docker, Docker-Compose, Kubernetes (or others)
- Automated configuration: Chef, Ansible, Puppet (or others)
- CICD: Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis, etc (or others)
- Mastery of dev/build tools: git, NodeJS, npm, grunt, gulp, babel, webpack
- Experience with python scripting and basic modules like numpy
- Knowledge of REST API design and development.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills
- Experience working in an agile and scrum team with a product leader
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize work accordingly
- 4+ years of experience in software engineering
- Ideally 4 year bachelors of science degree
- Experience with frontend development
- Experience in firmware
- Experience with ROS and robotics
- Experience in a startup environment
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizen status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, age, pregnancy status, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status.
Multiple studies have found that a higher percentage of women and BIPOC candidates won't apply if they don't meet every listed qualification. Chef values candidates of all backgrounds. If you find yourself excited by our mission but you don't check every box in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway!