Big Cabal Media
TechCabal is looking for experienced tech reporters to join our team in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa.
We have ten years of covering Africa's tech ecosystem and reach over a million readers monthly on our site, and we're keen to strengthen our team with great storytellers and financial journalists who are passionate about the tech story in Africa.
Curiosity, imagination, initiative and ambition.
Those are four of the most important things we’re looking for in TechCabal’s Senior Reporters. This is an opportunity to help build and shape an era-defining publication that will grow to become a global standard in business and human interest journalism about the impact of technology in Africa.
We are in the middle of a pivotal transformation, aiming to go beyond providing insight and news to tech insiders to a broader mission as the most important publication covering the business and impact of technology in Africa, speaking not only to insiders but to everyone affected by and curious about technology on the continent.
We are looking for four experienced reporters across Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya to supercharge our tech coverage. The right candidates will have significant journalistic and newsroom experience. They will show a depth of understanding of the issues and a passion for the mission of telling stories that matter about the business and impact of technology in Africa. They will possess a strong understanding of journalistic and media practices and ethics.
TechCabal’s portfolio of platforms includes a well-regarded daily newsletter, one of the most popular and respected technology websites on the continent, notable video and podcast properties, and a well-respected live series of interviews.
Big Cabal Media (BCM) is on a mission to create the next generation of media brands. Our brands, TechCabal and Zikoko have distinguished themselves for their ability to deliver smart and sophisticated content in relatable and easily digestible ways.
- Conceiving, sourcing, researching, and writing 3 in-depth articles per week.
- Stay ahead of the curve by identifying, sourcing, and publishing a minimum of three timely news stories each week.
- Write for newsletters as required
- Advancing the reputation of the publication with engaging and high-impact human angle
- Contribute to diverse coverage by writing stories that highlight technology trends and developments from across Africa
- Executing projects as assigned by the Newsroom Editor or Deputy Newsroom Editor
- Build and nurture strategic relationships with key players in business, technology, and governmental sectors, leveraging these relationships to enhance the depth of our coverage.
- Participating in company-sourced training and engaging in skill development programs
You would be a great fit for this role if
- You are passionate yet clear-eyed about the potential of technology to transform and impact life and business across Africa
- You have deep experience and understanding of tech and/or business in Africa
- You are driven, and have the ability to deliver sharp, deep articles consistently
- You have extensive journalism and newsroom experience
- You have strong analytical and excellent communication skills
- You have great interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- You’re a great writer with experience and/or understanding of newsrooms and the business of media
Working at Big Cabal Media You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and telling stories that matter.
We're a digital company that’s currently working almost full-remote (there are occasional in-person strategy sessions and meet-ups, but we work well with colleagues who are not in Lagos). We use Slack, Google Docs, Notion, and Airtable to keep on top of things.
We typically try to arrange work between 9 am and 6 pm WAT, but we don’t have a stick up our butt about hours. We care about quality and results. Our people get things done fast and well, and we ask them to take care of themselves. Burnout isn’t fun or useful.
While collaborative work will be the norm and is the requirement, people who want to work at BCM must also demonstrate initiative and the ability to work independently.
We’re an equal-opportunity employer and compensation for this role is competitive.